Back for another round, avec, the West Loop’s Mediterranean-meets-the-Midwest small plates restaurant, is teaming up with some of Chicago’s top culinary, beer and cocktail talents for the fifth installment of their highly anticipated “Friends of avec Brunch Series.” The all-star lineup will feature takeovers from Estereo, Elske, Best Intentions, HaiSous and Maplewood Brewery & Distillery.
HOW THE FRIENDS OF AVEC BRUNCH SERIES WORKS: From February through April, avec’s Chef de Cuisine Perry Hendrix will team up with some of Chicago’s most beloved restaurants, bars and breweries to create unique, collaborative brunches. The menus will include a la carte selections from avec’s classic brunch alongside specialty, one-time only partner dishes and drinks.
FIRST UP? Kicking off the series on February 18th is Estereo, Logan Square’s Latin-inspired, all-day bar and coffee shop, which will craft innovative cocktails infused with South American and Caribbean flavors. The featured beverage menu is designed to showcase a collection of tropical spirits and includes the “Pisco,” mixed with Biondi and Intipalka piscos, tangerine, lime, Amaro Nonino and Piña Bitters, and the “Rum,” which includes Paranubes Aguardiente de Caña, blood orange, Seedling Farms figs and grapefruit bitters.
“Although we’ve been doing this for several years now, we still love hosting these collaboration brunches,” says Perry Hendrix, chef de cuisine at avec. “It provides us a great opportunity to be inspired by some of our favorite people in the hospitality business and gives us a great excuse to drink rosé with them on a Sunday morning."
The 2018 “Friends of avec Brunch Series” will pair avec’s Mediterranean-style brunch with unique food and beverage menus from some of Chicago’s most celebrated hospitality concepts, including:
- Estereo (February 18th): Imbibe with the flavors of Latin America and the Caribbean when Estereo takes over avec’s drink menu. Known for their use of bright and expressive spirits, like pisco, mezcal and rum, and farm-fresh produce, the Logan Square bar, led by Beverage Director Michael Rubel, will mix vibrant cocktails sure to transport guests to the tropics.
- Elske (March 4th) Blackbird alums Anna and David Posey return to One Off Hospitality, channeling the warm hospitality and Scandinavian-inspired cuisine that ranked Elske as #2 restaurant in the country according to Bon Appetit’s 2017 “America’s Best New Restaurants” list. Expect creative and artisanal takes on classic brunch dishes infused with Nordic flavors.
- Best Intentions (March 18th): avec gets a splash of refined, dive bar charm with a collection of no-frills, classically-driven libations from Best Intentions, courtesy of cocktail experts Calvin and Chris Marty.
- HaiSous (April 1st): Pilsen comes to the West Loop when HaiSous, recipient of Michelin’s 2018 Bib Gourmand, joins avec for brunch. Chef Thai and wife Danielle Dang will serve Vietnamese comfort dishes alongside a jolt of caffeine with "Cà Phê Sữa Đá" (iced coffee with sweeten milk).
- Maplewood Brewery & Distillery (April 22nd): Illinois’s first combination craft brewery and distillery, Maplewood Brewery & Distillery, rounds out the 2018 “Friends of avec Brunch Series” with its collection of Logan Square-made brews and spirits.
The "Friends of avec Brunch Series" will take place from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on select Sundays between February and April. Reservations can be made here. Look out for further updates and menus for the series here.