Chef John Manion’s retail business, El Che Meat & Provisions, launched last year during the pandemic, offering a neighborhood option for goods and premium beef cuts out of El Che Steakhouse & Bar.
This year, guests can be transported to Buenos Aires as El Che Meat & Provisions brings to life their San Telmo market for a monthly series of indoor market days. The San Telmo market is a destination in the Argentine capitol city that El Che’s Chicago iteration will pay homage to, offering artisanal goods, wines and more for guests to shop inside the steakhouse and outdoors on the Washington St. patio.
Launching June 13, each market will feature a variety of rotating local vendors, as well as small bites, wine and cocktails. For the first indoor-outdoor market, vendors include:
• Plant Shop Chicago, a local plant destination in Albany Park
• Studio Sour, woodworked art and kitchen essentials
• True Partners In Craft, recycled jewelry from bicycle innertubes
• Hard Pass Creative, graphic prints, stickers and hand painted planters
• Carinosa Designs, local artisan offering hand made patches, ceramic earrings and prints
• Smithey Ironware, a regular Meat & Provisions offering with premium ironware
• Town Cutler, a high-end West Coast knife shop; Meat & Provisions is the only Chicago retailer that carries the line
• Mickey Alice Kwapis, sustainable taxidermy art and jewelry
All of El Che Meat & Provisions regular retail offerings will be available as well, premium Creekstone Farms prime dry-aged steaks, bottled wines, cocktail kits to-go, a “Mystery Malbec” box, Lucila’s Alfajores cookies, and other custom swag and merch made by Chicago’s Stock Mfg. Co.
An a la carte menu will be available for guests to purchase with El Che classics, including Ham & Cheese, Beef Picadillo and Kale Florentine Empanadas ($4); La Fuerza Vermouth & Soda, choice of Blanco or Rojo ($8); Quilmes beer ($6); and two South American wines to mirror El Che’s South American exclusive wine list, Prisma Sauvignon Blanc and APua Maita Pais, both available in a can for easy sipping ($10).
Starting Sunday, June 13, the San Telmo market will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The schedule for the following months will occur on the same time period on Saturdays, including:
• Saturday, July 10, 11am-3pm
• Saturday, August 14, 11am-3pm
• Saturday, September 11, 11am-3pm
Additionally, a special holiday-themed market will take place on Saturday, December 18 from 11am-3pm.