This year marks the 8th edition of Le Dîner en Blanc – Chicago. On Thursday, August 8, 2019, Le Dîner en Blanc will pop up in an undisclosed and unexpected public space in the city of Chicago allowing more than 3,500 guests to enjoy the food and wine scene of the Windy City.
Each summer in more than 80 cities around the world, thousands of people dressed entirely in white descend on a public space with everything they need for a soirée in tow, including folding table and chairs, gourmet picnic food, fine china, silverware and a tablecloth. Over the course of the evening, the guests eat and celebrate amid live music and dancing, many of them spending weeks in advance planning their menus and ensembles. The event offers attendees an occasion to express their unique fashion and design style; creative outfits, hats and decorative table settings are always a spectacle.
“Each year, Le Dîner en Blanc – Chicago creates one magical evening celebrating the vibrancy and community of Chicago to the fullest while honoring the deeply rooted traditions of the original Parisian event. Now in our eighth year, we are overwhelmed with joy to see the continued growth and excitement surrounding the event and are delighted to bring our community together to celebrate both the city and one another,” state the hosts of the Chicago event – Brandy Koch, James Wild, Lauren Haras, and Roger Hobby.
To keep with Le Dîner en Blanc’s tradition, guests observe a few key rules:
- Once confirmed, guests’ participation is essential.
- The dress code is simple. Elegant, white outfits and accessories.
- The table setting should be all white. This is a green event, so no disposables.
- Wine and/or Champagne permitted through pre-purchase from the official e-store.
- Beer and hard liquor is prohibited.
- Per venue, City of Chicago, and state laws/regulations/ordinances, guests are not allowed to bring their own alcohol. Guests wishing to enjoy wine or Champagne must reserve a voucher through the Dîner en Blanc - Chicago e-store.
- Non-alcoholic beverages welcome.
- The location is a secret. Guests meet at their selected departure point and are escorted by a Dîner en Blanc volunteer to the secret event site.
- At the end of the evening, guests are required to take all of their belongings, leftovers, and garbage, leaving the secret location as pristine as they found it.
Like all picnics, guests must bring some key items:
- One portable table, two white chairs, white tablecloth, and white cloth napkins.
- A three-course meal for two, proper stemware, and white dinnerware.
- Catered picnic basket options will be available to guests who do not wish to pack their own. Guests wishing to order a basket must do so prior to the event via the Dîner en Blanc – Chicago website. Baskets will be available for pick-up on-site (no on-site sales).
- Valid Driver’s License or State ID (all guest must be over 21).