Greg Mohr and Scott Weiner of The Fifty/50 Restaurant Group have opened their latest restaurant – 90th Meridian – on the ground floor at 231 S. LaSalle Street that’s also known as the Central Standard Building.
90th Meridian is The Fifty/50 Restaurant Group’s 16th opening. 90th Meridian executive chef Miles Schaefer is serving a menu full of fresh Southern California flavors and takes on globally-inspired comfort food. Schaefer is formerly of Sepia, Blackbird, Big Star, & WD~50 in New York.
Portsmith executive chef/partner Nate Henssler is assisting Schaffer with the opening at 90th Meridian. Portsmith is The Fifty/50 Restaurant Group’s sustainable seafood-focused restaurant located on the ground floor of the Eurostars Magnificent Mile Hotel in River North.
90th Meridian is open from 10am until 7pm Monday through Friday and will cater to the weekday lunch and happy hour crowds in the Financial District of the Loop.
The 164-seat restaurant is designed by Katherine Ingrassia Design whose other projects include Acadia, Prime & Provisions, & Bar Siena. 90th Meridian features a 21 seat-granite U-shaped bar, burnt orange half-moon booths, and wall art incorporating artifacts found inside the 95-year old landmark building including vintage timepieces, stained glass, and ornate fixtures.
Some of the fresh California flavors on the menu include:
* Tuna Crudo (Tombo Tuna, Smoked Egg Yolk, Charred Garlic, Pea Tendril, Radish)
* Sugar & Sun Salad (Snap Peas, Roasted Sunchokes, Breakfast Radishes, Pears, Cucumbers, Baby Spinach, Herbs, Olives, Creamy Greek Dressing
* Pea and Ricotta Agnolotti (Brown Butter, Mint, Turnip, Pickled Shallot, Peas)
* Ancient Grain Salad (Quinoa, Farro, Chickpea, Bell Pepper, Cucumber, Shallot, Grapefruit, Avocado, Arugula, Fresh Herbs, Feta, Tzatziki)
* Crudite (Seasonal Vegetables, Kimchi Black Bean Puree, Tzatziki, Hummus)
Some of the takes on globally-inspired comfort food on the menu include:
* Bahn Mi French Dip (Pho-Braised Short Rib, Thai Basil Chimichurri, Pickled Vegetables, Jalapeño, Pho Dipping Broth)
* House Nachos (Vindaloo Pork, Pickled Red Onions, Sesame Black Bean Puree, Cilantro, Cotija Cheese, Sour Cream)
* Kalbi-Style Hanger Steak Salad (Avocado, Bean Sprouts, Mint, Cilantro, Herbs, Roasted Rice Powder, Pickled Fresnos, Kimchi Radish, Cucumber, Sesame Lime Dressing)
* Green Papaya & Spiced Nuts (Togarashi Candied Nuts, Basil, Chilies, Pad Thai Vinaigrette)
* Crab Bun (King Crab, Brown Butter, Fine Herbs, Bao Bun)
* Miso Shrimp & Sesame Soba Noodle Salad (Scallion, Shiitake, Mushroom Dashi)
* Chicken Wings (Korean Fried Chicken, Marinated Cucumber, Crunchy Bits)
The beverage program is curated by 90th Meridian general manager Patrick Wingert – a longtime general manager for The Fifty/50 Restaurant Group.
There are eight specialty cocktails – including the “Wingfoot Air Express” (Rye, Ruby Port, Cynar, Egg White, Lemon) & the “Estándar Central” (Blanco Tequila, Apologue Aronia, Cilantro Shrub, Lime, Watermelon) – that are all priced at $13 each.
90th Meridian is pouring six craft drafts from local breweries including Three Floyds, Maplewood, On Tour, and Revolution. There’s an additional 17 beers available by the bottle and can as well. There are also 10 wines – all available by the glass and bottle – with glass pours starting at $12. The tightly curated back bar features about 60 spirits.